Saturday 10 May 2014

The never-to-be-seen dolls

I feel very lucky to be a doll maker. Specifically a pocket doll maker though I'm sure big doll makers have these special moments - but there is something magic about a tiny doll made with love, that no one ever grows out of.
I make dolls for children, and oh! the places they travel, and the hard play adventures and flights they go on (in more ways than one!)
Some say dolls 'long' to be played with, that that is their purpose in life. When it comes to mine, I'm not so sure.  Making dolls to be loved by children is special, I adore the looks on their faces on receipt of these hand sized friends, the sweet scenarios, the pocket travelling!...but making a doll that lives with an adult - that is something more, something that touches my heart.

These tiny pocket sized adult presents, they go places too. They may or may not travel. but they have places to go.

Sometimes the doll holds memories. A reminder of something from the past which held joy - someone's favourite. A colour, a flower. They could be sprayed with a scent. Sometimes these dolls are carried in handbags and are never alone. They might sit in a kitchen or on a shelf to watch the world go by. And they are always 'there' for a smile.

Some dolls are for Christmas! Every year lovingly unpacked and hung up to watch the joy in the house - how lucky they are! I do love Christmas dolls for this reason, the thought of the tradition and years of loving and memory keeping is wonderful.

Some dolls end up in boxes. People might say, why make a doll just to be put in a box? but boxes are filled with love, and sometimes with pain. These dolls hold that pain, they stay for support in grief, in release, and in hope, and they are always there safely tucked away until they are needed. Sometimes them just being 'there' is what is needed. A recognition from a friend. These dolls might just look like they are taking space in a box to any other, but they are doing far more than that.

Every so often I come across a situation where I just *feel* a doll is needed, sometimes the person comes to me -  not necessarily for the doll I am thinking of. More often its not a direct friend of mine, but through something else a situation arises and I just *know* that a doll is wanted there.

And sometimes, its not one, but two dolls.
A doll for two different places. The same pieces of fabric taken, divided, and sewn into two dolls.
 An angel to watch over a baby in SCBU, a baby to stay with Mummy while she can't be with them. A doll for the hope and the praying, and safely holding the memories of first moments and the joy. Perhaps tucked into a baby box when they're finaly home, but a reminder for years ahead of moments past.

And sometimes a doll to go to heaven, and a doll to stay here on earth. Some might wonder does it make me sad for my hard work to be put in the ground? burnt to ashes? to be left to fight the elements?  No, never in a million years. Its an incredible privilege to be asked to make something like this. Its heart wrenching too. I have loved and lost in my life, I have grieved, and I am a sensitive person, I feel empathy deeply and will often cry for and with others - even strangers.  The never-to-be-seen dolls are the most important of all.

 No other fancy high paid job for an important firm could tempt me away from this work tonight - creating something to be part of a life and a memory. Its incredibly special. This is more than fabric and stuffing, this is love.






1 comment:

  1. So touching, and very well worded,. I felt a little lump in my throat reading this, I too have cried for strangers but wouldn't change my job for the world :'-)

    ReplyDelete