Wednesday 23 May 2012

finaly did it! and pricing rambles

So, I made it, my trading standards man came back from his holiday, and tried not to groan at me on the phone (what... you again!? lol I'm joking obviously) and  is happy that I'm using due diligence.
and so, thats it, job done. my technical file is now actually looking more file like, and 20 bundle babies are ready to go.

except that I detest pricing anything up. DETEST! I'd honestly rather give stuff away than put prices on things because of the pressure to get it right, right for people to buy, and right so that I'm not losing money.
This has now been made much harder by the massive postage hike! £2.70 just seems  SO much more than £1.58. I cant include postage any more in my prices, which I hate.

If I were to go by some of the calculators on-line, they'd be priced so high no one would buy them - the thing is with them being so tiny they don't look much, but with the costs of the materials, and packing (like labels which I need to have now) and postage that's enough!  to get anything for my time (and each doll can take up to an hour to complete, depending on detail) the price goes higher and higher, (imagine If was charging minimum wage... £6 an hour for time alone!)  I either earn money by selling lots with a low price, or one or two with a high price. I hope with pricing them at £5 plus postage, they will sell, if not, I'll have to rethink.
 If I  were to put a low price on them, they might sell but it devalues the handmade market such a lot... all those one of a kind pieces deserve the money and respect they get. I'm trying to be fair. I want them to have homes and be loved, but I also don't want to be paying out of my own pocket to sell! makes no sense!

Anyway, since the CE mark has been sorted I feel a little lost!! my muse has vanished of course as now i'm actually allowed to make things its not so driven! lol!

think it must be time for bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment