Tuesday 17 April 2012

the good news and the very bad news.

So today I got an email from my trading standards man (i'm pretty sure he groans everytime he gets an email from me! I have a million questions but hes very patient)

The bad news is that I need EN 71 certification from my fabrics to prove there is no heavy metals or AZO dyes in them. Should be easy but its practically impossible. :( None of the fabric suppliers I've emailed have so far got back to me, Myriad are working on it and in contact with their manufacturing people, myfabrics have been pretty terrible in that she seemingly has NO IDEA what i'm on about, and has been so slow at getting back to me, talking around in circles saying they dont have them, then they do meet german standards, but not giving me any proof that they do... I've emailed for the 4th time now and i'm pretty sure she is also fed up with me because she has no idea what i'm talking about...

I've also emailed natures fabrics who can help with bamboo (but they only have limited colours) and I've found earth Eco who have plain bamboo with the okeo tex100 but I'd then need to find out about the dyes. Might email them later.

So what this means is two things: 1. unless I can source some fabric from somewhere with certificates I cant make toys.
and 2. all that fabric I bought last week is completely useless to me.

*hits head on wall*

my only other alternative would be to get the fabric tested myself which would cost £55 PER fabric, plus vat and certificate fee.
why is this soooo hard? how have people just sailed through it??

onto good news, my dolls have been looked over by the TS man and he says they look good, no small parts to be choked on and because they are little they dont need flammability information (though i'd rather that one than the dyes issue as its easier to do!) and He doesnt think they need to be tested by the public testing people (pull tested etc) which is something at least though means not much without the fabric certificates!

In the mean time I've asked him to confirm I can still sell my pea pods (and should have asked about mobiles too!) I should be seeing him in the flesh on monday so I'll ask for him to confirm everything then when I get him to be clear on things I need for the technical file.

right at least that is out of my head for tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Can you not use the fabric for other items such a lil dresses etc? Just to use it up? It's such a complex way of doing things! I pulled my Gina Giraffe from sale because I don't know enough about all of this to know if she is safe or not. Rather not take the risk!

    ReplyDelete